Thursday, February 18, 2010

Being Content

Philippians 4:12-13 says, "I know what it is to be in need,
and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the
secret of being content in any and every situation, whether
well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I
can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

The Bible teaches us many life lessons. One of the most
useful of those life lessons is that of being content with
what you have.

We live in a material world. Hollywood tries to instill in
us the belief that it is what you have that counts.
According to the media you need the right clothes, the right
car, the right shoes, the right hair, the right "look" to be
a worthwhile person.

We often spend much of our time striving to obtain more and
more of the luxuries that this world offers. We want all the
gadgets and all the latest fashions. We want the best cars
and houses and our kids want all the latest toys. It is so
easy to get caught up in all these "wants" to the degree
that we spend all our spare time working toward obtaining
"things" instead of investing our time into making this
world a better place.

We need to remember that it is not our outward appearance
that really matters, but it is what we are inside that
counts. It doesn't matter what you have, but WHOSE you are.

Are you content with the things the Lord has given you or do
you often complain that you don't have the newest and latest
contraption? Do you spend your time serving God and others
or do you spend your time working overtime to have extra
money so that you can have more purchasing power?

To be honest, sometimes I struggle with being content with
what I have. A new rug in my entryway would be nice and so
would a new living room chair ...

If I am able to earn a little extra to purchase these
things, that's great. But I need to remember my priorities.
I need to remind myself that I've chosen to live a simple
lifestyle so that I could have the time and energy to invest
in relationships with people.

So when I look around my house - or in my closet - and start
dreaming of things I would like to have, I need to remind
myself that God is good and he amply supplies for all my
needs - even many of my "wants". I don't always need the
latest gadget and newest clothes. These things don't bring
true happiness. But being content with what you have does
bring peace.

******

Patricia Chadwick
Copyright 2005

www.bearsinspirations.homestead.com

No comments:

Post a Comment